The Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) has recently updated its zoning bylaw.
This means that a Temporary Use Permit is no longer required to allow sales from a home-based artist studio.
To sell artwork from a home-based artist studio in Whistler, a valid business licence and sign permit are required.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who needs a business licence?
- If you want to sell your original artwork from your home studio, you require a business licence from the RMOW, like other home-occupation businesses.
- Once you are licensed, you can apply to have two additional signs (a freestanding sign and a sandwich board sign), as well as a fascia sign.
- Welcome visitors to your home studio to view and legally purchase your original work
- Expand your customer base and deepen your relationship with customers by inviting them to your studio
- Benefit from additional creative signage at your studio location
What do you need to do to sell art from your home-based studio?
How will potential visitors find out about your studio?
- Mobile friendly, digital map of home studios for on-line access through artswhistler.com/explore (Please contact Arts Whistler to get your location uploaded to Culture Maps)
- Print and digital promotion of self-guided tours (year-round) (Please contact Arts Whistler to get your location uploaded to Culture Maps)
- Your own advertising and social media
- Permitted on-site signage
RMOW – email@example.com | 604.935.8170
Arts Whistler – firstname.lastname@example.org | 604.935.8410