Curiosity Collider Art-Science Foundation
Mar. 25, 2019
CALL FOR ARTISTS DESCRIPTION:
Her Story: Canadian Women Scientists will be a series of artist-created narrative videos in which local women scientists tell us stories of Canadian women who came before them in their field of study. Through these stories, we will also learn about the narrating scientists themselves. We are looking for several filmmakers to each create one 5 – 6 minute short film that features a mixture of live action, animation, and narration.
Filmmakers are submitting an application to work with a scientist, and after being paired with one by Curiosity Collider, the scientist and filmmaker will choose a historical figure and create the content for the film in collaboration. Filmmakers may indicate a scientific field of interest, or propose their own Canadian woman scientist who would be interested in participating, however overall scientists will be selected with consideration for diversity of subject matter.
We are expecting concept-driven independent freelancers with experience in directing, cinematography, shooting, editing, and animating of short films. $1300 is allocated to each film, which must feature live action, animation, and narration. Filmmakers are welcome to propose independent work or collaborative work (as a filmmaking team). If submitting a proposal as a team, the proposal must clarify team member responsibility and breakdown of fee; a team leader who will be responsible for contract and distribution of funds must be specified. The fee will be paid out only upon completion of the film. There is no additional funding for equipment rental.
For full description, samples, and submission form, please visit the call website http://bit.ly/HerStoriesCC
HOW TO APPLY:
To submit, visit http://bit.ly/HerStoriesCC. Please do not submit your package through email.
- Your submitted materials must fit within our mandate.
- You may submit applications for other Collider projects in addition to this one.
- Applications will be accepted from everywhere, however filming will take place in Metro Vancouver, BC. At this time we are unable to cover travel expenses.
On the submission website, submit following:
- A statement (500 word max) about how you will approach collaboration with the scientist. Tell us about your scientific fields of interest, inspirations, and observations. Include information about your team if applicable.
- A bio (200 word max)
- A CV (3 page max)
- Submit a link to a single video or reel of up to 7 minutes total to represent your work
- A list of works included in your video submission, and any brief pertinent details (1 page max)
- A link to your website
- Your name, address, email, and any other contact information.
Contact Name: Larissa Blokhuis
Contact Email: email@example.com