The Squamish Arts Council adjudicates the Public Art Grant for local arts and culture projects that seek to engage artists with residents and visitors in a creative collaboration that is publicly accessible, and leaves a lasting experience or legacy for those who interact with it.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE PUBLIC ART PROGRAM:
- To nurture a collaborative process between practicing artists and the Squamish community;
- To encourage the creation of publicly accessible artwork that has artistic merit and community benefit;
- To foster community pride, identity and cohesion through a collaborative artistic endeavor;
- To provide small scale opportunities for artists to gain experience in the field of public art;
- To increase the community’s understanding of public art through small scale locally based projects;
- To reflect the diversity, needs, and ambitions of the larger community.
Successful applicants will clearly identify how their project meets one or more of the program objectives.