1174 Welch Street
North Vancouver, BC, V7P 2R5
Griffin Art Projects
Dec. 7, 2019
CALL FOR ARTISTS DESCRIPTION:
Griffin Art Projects is committed to recognizing the achievements of our local arts community by supporting the work of underserved artists living on the North Shore. We are pleased to announce a call for submissions for Griffin Art Project’s inaugural North Shore Studio Art Residency Award. Artists living in the Districts of North and West Vancouver, and the City of North Vancouver, are invited to apply. The successful applicant will receive:
1. Two months of rent-free studio space in Griffin Art Project’s residency building from January 1st to February 29th, 2020.
2. The opportunity to build relationships with Vancouver and North Shore curators and cultural producers through studio visits and professional connections facilitated by Griffin Art Projects.
3. The opportunity to share the works created throughout the residency during an open studio event organized and promoted by Griffin Art Projects.
4. The opportunity to contribute to visual arts in the community through a public presentation at the North Vancouver Public Library, Lynn Valley Branch, and other educational outreach initiatives.
Griffin Art Projects will work with the successful applicant to develop a public program plan suitable to the artist’s interests and strengths. Griffin Art Projects pays full CARFAC presentation fees for the delivery of all public programs.
Griffin Art Projects accepts applications from visual artist working in a variety of mediums, including but not limited to painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, installation, performance, video and film, new media etc. Please note that Griffin Art Projects does not provide access to specialized tools and equipment. Residency projects may include creative research, development and production of new or ongoing works.
All applicants will be notified of results by December 15th, 2020.
About Griffin Art Projects: Griffin Art Projects (GAP) is a non-profit art residency and gallery located in North Vancouver devoted to supporting artists in the production of new work through its residency program, and in creating new research on contemporary Canadian and international art, artists and art collections from around the world in its exhibition program. GAP is a non-collecting institution that has quickly become a vibrant contributor to the North Vancouver cultural landscape and visual art practices in the region through its exhibitions, residency and public programs.
Established in 2015, GAP was founded by Brigitte and Henning Freybe who began collecting art in the early 1970s. GAP considers the methodologies, thematics and narratives that shape and direct both visual culture and creative work, and collecting practices. In addition, GAP supports and develops solo and group projects and thematic exhibitions of works, collaborating with established cultural producers, guest curators, artists, writers and art educators in the region, nationally and locally to also produce exhibitions, public programs and publications on contemporary art in the region.
HOW TO APPLY:
Proposals should include:
• 10 – 20 images of recent works, not exceeding 1500 px on the longest side. Too big to send in one email? Feel free to send your application as a We-Transfer, but send us a direct email first to let us know. All images should be numbered and titled. To ensure that images are presented in the correct order, be sure to add a zero before the first nine numbers (i.e. 01Title.jpg, 02Title.jpg). If you are submitting video and/or audio work, please make files available online (through Youtube, Vimeo etc) and provide us with a list of links.
• A project description saved as a pdf. This document should contain:
> Up-to-date contact information, including your email address, street address and a phone number we can reach you at.
> A clear, concise description of what you propose to do throughout your residency at Griffin Art Projects (max 500 words)
> An artist statement relating to the work you are proposing (max 200 word)
• Current CV All submissions should be sent to Jazz Keillor at firstname.lastname@example.org