Whistler Film Festival 2020
Canada’s Coolest Film Fest celebrates 20 years in 2020 with virtual events over 20 days from December 1 to 20 with an extended viewing window from December 21 to 31. The Whistler Film Festival will be presented as an online experience featuring film premieres, filmmaker and talent talks, and industry initiatives all scheduled for streaming convenience.
WFF is proud to offer a robust selection of films via its virtual model with up to 100 films, including 30 features and six short programs, that will premiere online throughout Canada and will be available to watch on December 31 at midnight.
Celebrating Canadian excellence in film, over 60% of all titles offered online will be from Canada, including 15 titles competing in the Borsos Competition for Best Canadian Feature. In addition, approximately half of WFF’s film lineup will be made up of first-time feature filmmakers and over 40% directed by women.
50% of all net proceeds will be shared with the filmmakers or Canadian rights holders, as a way of helping revenue challenged Canadian creators impacted in the current crisis. Each film will be available for a 24-hour window once ordered. Some restrictions apply in Quebec on a film by film basis.
WFF is also pursuing the possibility of physical, in-theatre screenings featuring a selection of top premieres as well as new titles for its loyal regional audience. All premieres will be socially distanced and contingent on provincial protocols to ensure that the venues and workplace practices meet and exceed public health guidelines. Additional details on physical screenings will be announced in November.
Beyond the film-on-demand experience, WFF will celebrate as many films as possible through an online series of events that include:
- Bonus Features: Introductions and Q&As with the filmmakers
- Talent Talks: Engaging, interactive conversations with top filmmakers and talent
- Alumni Spotlight: Featuring 20 alumni filmmakers to mark our 20th anniversary
- Spark Gala & Auction: The official kick off to WFF’s 20th anniversary on December 1
- Whistler Apres : To mark the peak of the fest Whistler-style on December 10
- Awards Celebration: To to recognize the films and filmmakers in the seven juried competitive sections with 15 awards and over $45,000 in cash prizes and commissions ($20,000 in cash prizes and $25,000 in production prizes) to be awarded n December 20
UPCOMING WHISTLER FILM FESTIVAL EVENTS: